Tuesday 19 May 2009

Buggery

I get confused over some adverts. What are they trying to say? Why are they saying it like that?

All those signs and signifiers, codefied meanings and connotations - all those layers of symbolism and metaphor. It's a lot to get through.

Luckily for me though, I've got a degree in English Literature and Media Studies. So I know my semiotics from my semi-colons. Saussure, Baudrillard, Freud and Jung - I had to read them all at some point. So I reckon I've got a pretty good idea how meanings work.

And yet...I cannot for the FUCKING LIFE of me figure out why Barclaycard think that being on crutches is a positive thing...




Now you're all going to tell me those aren't proper crutches, aren't you. That they're special dancing crutches for cooooooool people. And it's the coooooool bit that's important. Not that having a Barclaycard is a bit like having a.... SPECIAL DANCING CRUTCH!!??

WTfuckingF?

("Hi there, we're Saatchi and Saatchi. And we believe that great advertising comes from bundling logic into a darkened alleyway and shoving a rusty knife up it's baffled little arsehole." - Saatchi Bros. Perverting the course of logic since 1970)

No comments: