Monday 7 January 2008

Poetry

As I wandered lonely as a cloud the other day I started thinking about poetry. Why isn't there more if it out there in Advertising Land?

See, I’ve never written rhymes or verse,
because I think they’re rubbish.
I’ve never had any patience for all that
bloody four-lined bollocks.

This is not a poem though,
as well it might appear…
Testing, testing, 1,2,3...
See. I’m just rubbish at it.

B
R
I
N

G
B
A
C

K
A
C
R

O
S
T
I

C
S

That’s what I say!


Maybe they're just too hard to write; too elliptical and indirect. But there's something compelling about the form; the economy and the discipline. Limericks and haikus are snappy enough and those BBC DAB radio Xmas poems were great. Maybe I'll try and write a sonnet about a double-glazing special offer or a mortgage brokers or something... watch this space...

No comments: