Monday 18 February 2008

Let's Pretend: 5 Banal Straplines (thinking aloud about work)

I'm a (copy)writer who likes writing. I like discipline and form and I like the due process of bringing something to life.

Whether it's an ad., a website or an instruction manual for...erm... a gas-chamber, the methodology is always the same. I spend my entire bloody life writing and scripting things out because it's not enough for me just to have "an idea." I need to see it, feel it, and understand it. I need to look it in the eye and know exactly how it's going to behave. I'm Nadine Baggart, celebrity beauty editor of- sorry, no. Hang on that's something else...

What I'm trying to say is...erm...maybe if I made up an aphorism to explain..? How about: "If a writer wants his voice to sing, he better make sure it's breath doesn't smell."

Bollocks. That's not what I'm trying to say either.

I know what I mean...

Anyway. So I was working on something boring the other day; something pretty niche, bland and corporate. But I didn't feel it. I wasn't feeling bland and corporate (I never do). So I went back to the beginning and started to re-write it. I started to think "bland and corporate" thoughts and in no time at all everything just fell into place. Suddenly it was perfect. But why?

Well, because I bloody love writing, that's why. Even with a dismal client and boring breif, I can still find something that inspires me. You just gotta look inside yourself. Look. Here's 5 random, utterly banal straplines plucked from that piece of work. On the face of it, they're just embarrassing corporate platitudes. But to me, as I write them, they're part of a thunderous, totalitarian hollow-speak; the voice of an evil future government. To me, this is pure sci-fi, man. Ace! Look!


ORGANISING YOUR ORGANISATION
MAKING TIME FOR YOU
PROUD OF YOUR BUSINESS? SO ARE WE
BUILD YOUR IDENTITY. BUILD YOUR TEAM. BUILD YOUR BUSINESS.
THE CHOICE IS YOURS

Do you like pretending too? :-D

[Actually, reading them again, they sound like the titles of Charles Handy books]

No comments: