Tuesday 1 July 2008

Observations

When I'm at work I drink black coffee from a mug with Cliff Richard's face on it. (His face appears 4 times around the circumference of the mug). I drink quite a lot of coffee. This has less to do with Cliff Richard, and more to do with keeping my legs moving. Fortunately, coffee is also a dihoretic, which assures me a secondary opportunity to move my legs around.

Most of my day is spent looking at a screen, surrounded by lots of pieces of paper. Some of the papers have things I've written or drawn on them.

2 or 3 times a day, somebody (usually a young woman) will come and explain a task to me, which they would like me to perform. Some tasks are more difficult than others. Some tasks are discussed in excruciating detail. Some tasks are very poorly explained. Ideally, the task will be explained somewhere between the two, with detailed elements as well as vagaries.

There is always music being played here in the church. At the moment "Losing My Religion" by REM is playing out of a PA downstairs. Before that there was a song by Neil Diamond. When I arrived this morning, the Arctic Monkeys' first album was being played. Inevitably, The Beatles will be played at some point. And someone has just put fucking Feeder on...

I'm going to have to go and have words.

4 comments:

pisspoorenglish said...

The Cliff mug....yuck. It's like you're kissing his A-sexual face every time you take a sip.

I'd like to see us operating a rotating DJ system, whereby a different person each day chooses the music.

John said...

Cliff is gay. My gay mate told me his gay mate bummed him and was sworn to secrecy. Seriously. "Anyone for tennis" and all that. That's why his backing band were called "The Shadows" - that's where "they" lived back in the 50s you know. Skulking on the fringes of society... Christ may forgive him, but as for his female fans -well...

If we had NO music at all I could get more work done.

Agree/disagree/discuss

pisspoorenglish said...

You need to skulk off upstairs more like me. And mutter stuff under your breath whilst locking yourself in a room.

John said...

I've been upstairs in churches before, me lad.

Every time you go upstairs you always re-emerge looking flustered and bewildered.

Why am i telling you this here? You sit behind me for fucksake...

What dya think this is - The fucking Matrix or something?