Wednesday 28 October 2009

Oh, great! The Drum have asked people who work in advertising to write blogs for them. I wonder what they'll say..?

This week's Drum guest blog comes from Peter Popshield, executive creative chairman and foundling partner of Hubr!S Brand Ensemble.

Well, what can I say that I haven't already said before. I'm honoured The Drum has asked me to write for them. Who'd've thought that I'd have anything interesting to say to anybody other than myself. I certainly wouldn't have done. In fact, I asked myself that very question in the mirror this morning. I asked myself "What will I say in The Drum this week?" But I was unable to find an answer. So instead I looked at myself again, and just tried to imagine what I'd like to read myself saying. Then I started writing it down on my laptop, whilst lying in my own bed next to my wife, who incidentally also works at my agency with me. Anyway, I thought I'd start with a little bit about myself.

I've worked in this business now for what seems like forever to me, and every day I start my day in the same way - I think about my clients. I think about the relationship I have with them and what I can do for them. Then I make myself a nice cup of tea to bring me back down to earth. Some people think this business is bullshit. But it isn't. Which is why I always drink tea in my morning. To remind myself of the importance of my clients and the great work that I do for them. It's no secret that all the great people in history drank tea. Humble people like Gandhi drank tea. And let's face it, he also had a great brand. Which is what I tell my clients. I tell them that a great brand is like Gandhi, and a great advert is like a cup of tea. But more about me later...

I get into my agency around 8.15 in the morning, except for a Tuesday when arrive at 9.35 after my regular physiotherapy session. I injured myself some years ago in a relatively amusing way doing something vaguely related to my job, but I won't bore with my details. One of the things that sets my agency apart from other agencies is that we insist on knowing eachother's names, and using them whilst in work. I think in this increasingly crazy digtial sphere of ours, making a real connection with people is increasingly difficult. So addressing eachother as Peter (in my own case), or Andrew, or at the very least "mate" during the day reminds us of all of the challenges each of us face in communicating anything of any significance to anybody else these days. Which is exactly what I tell my clients - a great brand is like a name, and a great advert is like a mate. But enough about me...

I'm very lucky to still work with one or two of my old mates. Which is another thing that sets my agency apart from other people's. Back in the 80s, Gaz and Phil were the best creative team this side of the Headrow. Which is exactly what I tell my clients. A great brand is like an old mate, and a great advert is like the 1980s. But I'll get on to that later...

At 10.15am my 22 year old designer (Steph) strides vivaciously into the kitchen to make tea for all of of us. She is beautiful and talented in a way that I no longer understand. As ever, I avert my gaze by casually flicking through the Sport, which i despise, and hope that I look open-minded rather than thick. But being around young people is one of the things that sets my agency apart from other people's. Which is exactly what I tell my clients...

At 10.55am the tension within my agency and my skull is unbearable. It's this pervaisive sense of failure and inadequacy that sets my agency apart from other people's. Which is exactly what I tell my clients and the police. A great brand is like a skull, and a great advert is unbearable...

At around 2.15pm Steph makes another round of teas for myself and my clients, who I mention Gandhi and history and great men to before I execute them in long succession. One of the things that's always set my agency apart from other people's is the silver Beretta and hessian sacking I've kept in my left-hand drawer for the last 4 and half years.

But enough about me.

No comments: